COP23 UN Climate Talks - Rwanda Delegation Daily Update - 17 November 2017
10:00-11:00: Bilateral meeting with the Belgian Federal Minister for the Environment, Marie Christine Marghem at Bula 3, First Floor, Room 307
11:00-12:00: Bilateral Meeting with Miguel Arias Cañete (TBC)
16:00-18:00: Signing ceremony of the Letter of Intent between Vincent Biruta, Minister of Environment, Rwanda and Ulrike Hofken, Minister for Environment, Energy, Food and Forestry, State of Rhineland - Palatinate, Germany
- Convention on Biological Diversity High-Level Breakfast Roundtable
- At the breakfast, Minister Biruta shared the importance of biodiversity for Rwanda and explained how the revenue sharing scheme is working.
- Meeting with Executive Secretary Convention on Biological Diversity Executive Secretary
- The Minister and Ambassador meet with the Executive Secretary and discussed her upcoming field visit to Rwanda.
- Joint Committee Meeting on Implementation of Memorandum of Understanding with Italy
- DG Ruhamya signed a work plan with the Italian Government.
- GEF/GCF Side Event: Strengthening Collaboration to Support Countries in Implementing the Paris Agreement
- Minister Biruta detailed the ways in which international climate finance institutions can improve inefficiencies and the importance for having the private sector on board.
- Launch of the African Circular Economy Alliance
- South Africa, Nigeria and Rwanda along with the GEF and WEF officially launched the African Circular Economy Alliance.
- Bilateral Meeting with Edna Molewa, Minister for Environmental Affairs, South Africa
- The two countries committed to expand areas of partnership and finalise an MoU and a work plan.
- Delivery of National Statement
- In Rwanda's national statement, Minister Biruta called on countries to ratify the Kigali Amendment.
- Diplomatic Dinner event on Fighting Desertification Together
Minister Biruta speaks at the Convention on Biological Diversity High-Level Breakfast Roundtable on the sidelines of COP23.
Discussion leaders and panellists of the GEF/GCF Side Event: Strengthening Collaboration to Support Countries in Implementing the Paris Agreement
Minister Biruta speaks at the launch of the African Circular Economy Alliance.
The GEF CEO, Naoko Ishii, said the launch of the African Circular Economy Alliance is like a dream come true.
South Africa, Rwanda and Nigeria - along with the World Economic Forum and the GEF - officially launch the African Circular Economy Alliance.
Rwanda's delegation meets with South Africa's Minister of Environmental Affairs, Dr Enda Molewa.
Minister Biruta delivers Rwanda's National Statement to the plenary at COP23
Minister Biruta and Ambassador Cesar attended a Diplomatic Dinner on Fighting Desertification Together with Monique Barbut, Executive Secretary of the UNCCD
- Read Rwanda's National Statement at COP23, delivered by Minister Biruta to the high level plenary segment
- View photos of the Rwandan Delegation's activities at COP23, including the launch of the African Circular Economy Alliance
- Ghana News writes that the AU urged African nations at COP23 to yield financing doors for stronger climate action
- The Independent writes that so far 15 countries have teamed up against use of coal while at COP23
- UNFCCC publishes a story about the collaboration between Italy and the UN in a Fellowship Programme to support climate vulnerable countries