COP23 UN Climate Talks - Rwanda Delegation Daily Update - 15 November 2017
COP23 UN Climate Talks - Rwanda Delegation Daily Update - 15 November 2017
Welcome to the third update from the COP23 UN Climate Talks in Bonn Germany. Follow the latest news from the Rwanda delegation on Twitter through @EnvironmentRw, @GreenFundRw and @REMA_Rwanda.
Summary of Yesterday's Activities
- High Level Segment - Meeting of African Ministers of Environment (AMCEN)
- At the AMCEN Meeting, Ministers were given an update on the status of negotiations and the key issues on the table - especially related to finance and the role of the global financing mechanisms such as the GCF, the GEF and the Adaptation Fund.
- Conference of Ministers of COMIFAC chaired by Minister Biruta
- At the meeting, Minister Biruta delivered remarks as the current President of COMIFAC. In addition, there were two presentations on the work of the Green Climate Fund with Central African nations and the status of negotiations as it pertains to Central African countries.
- Climate & Clean Air Coalition High Level Assembly
- At the assembly, Minister Biruta encouraged nations to ratify the Kigali Amendment and announced that 13 countries have now ratified - the latest being the Maldives and the UK. He also urged countries to pair the Kigali Amendment with energy efficiency, which could result in avoiding a full degree of warming by the end of the century.
- IUCN Forest Cocktail Celebration: Driving Bonn Challenge Momentum
- At the IUCN event, Minister Biruta shared the success of the Kigali Declaration and encouraged IUCN to define a process for reopening signatures for the Kigali Declaration so more countries can join.
Today's Major Events
- 10:00-11:00: Green and Climate Resilient Rwanda Side Event in the COMIFAC Pavilion, D3, Bonn Zone (See attachment for details) 11:00-13:00 High Level Africa Day Event in the Bonn Zone - Meeting Room 8
- 12:30-13:00: Meeting with Minister Biruta and GGGI DG Dr. Frank Rijsberman in the Bonn Zone
- 13:00-13:30: Meeting with Minister Biruta and the NDC Partnership Global Director Pablo Vieira in the Bonn Zone
- 15:00-17:00: COP23 High Level Segment Opening - in the New York Plenary
- 3:40-4:30: Inyenyeri Side Event 'Using results-based climate finance to achieve transformational change and build climate markets' at the UK Pavilion in the Bonn Zone
- 16:00-17:00: “Impact investing - The next frontier for climate” at the World Climate Summit, Kameha Grand Hotel, Bonn (Organised by Climate Policy Initiative)
- 16:45-17:45: CRAFT – the First Private Investment Strategy for Climate Adaptation & Climate Resilience at the UK Pavilion in the Bonn Zone
- 20:00 - onwards: Dinner reception hosted by His Excellency, Frank Bainimarama, Prime Minister of Fiji, and Her Excellency Federal Minister for the Environment, Barbara Hendricks at the GOP Varieté Theater in the Karl-Carstens-Str. 1 in Bonn.
COP 23 Media Review - 15 November 2017
Yale School of Forestry and Environment Studies features of Rwanda's Parfait Gasana talking about COP23
The North Africa Post writes that Morocco is representing and advocating for Africa's developing countries at COP23
UNFCCC publishes a story with aims of climate action to boost global food security Watch Climate Conference's video to learn about people's aspirations about sustainable cities
Read the remarks delivered by Minister Biruta at various events at COP23 in Bonn
View photos of Rwanda's delegation to the COP23 UN Climate Talks
Yale at COP23: On the Ground in Bonn (Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies - Monday 13 November 2017) -- Forty members of the Yale community, including faculty, alumni, and 35 students from the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies (F&ES), will be in Bonn, Germany this month as global leaders gather for the 23rd “conference of the parties” (COP23) under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change. Read more
Photos: Rwanda's Delegation to the COP23 UN Climate Talks in Bonn, Germany (Ministry of Environment Flickr Account - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- View Photos
Remarks by Minister Vincent Biruta at the 2017 Climate and Clean Air Coalition High Level Assembly (Rwanda Green Fund website - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- It is my pleasure to be with you today and I thank the co-chairs for allowing me to provide a brief intervention at today’s assembly. I wish to recognise the climate benefits that have been registered thanks to the work of the Coalition. By working together, sharing experiences and technology, there is no doubt we can effectively reduce the threat posed by short lived climate pollutants to our natural environment and our societies. Read More
Remarks by Minister Vincent Biruta at IUCN Bonn Challenge Celebration (Rwanda Green Fund website - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- Rwanda was an early adopter of the forest landscape restoration approach. In 2011, my country pledged ‘border to border’ restoration of 2 million hectares under the Bonn Challenge. Since then, we have worked to foster regional collaboration to protect and restore our precious land. Read More
Morocco, Africa’s Climate Spokesperson at COP23 (The North Africa Post - Tuesday 14 November 2017) -- Africa has featured prominently in Morocco’s climate action. The recent remarks delivered by state secretary for sustainable development, Nezha El Ouafi, at the UN Climate Summit (COP23) in Bonn have yet affirmed that the continent remains at the heart of Morocco’s climate concerns. Read more
From Around The World
Climate Action Priority for Food Security and Zero Hunger (UNFCCC website - Tuesday 14 November 2017) -- Global food security can only be achieved through a coordinated policy approach to hunger, poverty and climate change, world leaders and experts said today during the latest round of climate talks in Bonn. Read more
Major Climate Insurance Initiative to be Launched at COP23 (UNFCCC website - Tuesday 14 November 2017) -- On Tuesday, 14 November, A major new global partnership to bring affordable insurance and other financial protection cover to millions more vulnerable people will be announced today as part of the High-Level Presidency Event on Resilience and Risk Sharing. Read more
How to Ensure Farming is More Than Just a Footnote in Climate Talks (IPS News - Tuesday 14 November 2017) -- If change comes from within, then climate action in agriculture must logically start with farmers. They need to find ways to adapt to and mitigate climate change. Read more
COP 23: We Are All In the Same Canoe (Eco Watch - Tuesday 14 November 2017) -- The prime minister of Fiji, Frank Bainimarama, is the official host of this year's UN Climate Summit, COP 23. But we're meeting in a cold, rainy small city in Germany, Bonn, not the sunny tropics of Fiji. Logistics dictates that. Fiji could not host, nor many countries afford, to fly there for the conference. Read more
COP23 - Day 9: Technical talks approach end/ Germany Fossil of the Day (Clean Energy Wire - Tuesday 14 November 2017) -- As technical negotiations on the Paris rulebook are approaching the finish line at the COP23 climate conference in Bonn, the German delegation said that after a few days filled with worry, they were now quite satisfied with the results. Read more
COP23 Global Climate Action: Finance for Climate and Sustainable Cities (Climate Conference YouTube Channel - Tuesday 14 November 2017) -- How can investment into climate-friendly technologies and climate resilience be mobilized? What is needed to achieve the Sustainable Development Goal of making cities sustainable - and what role can women play in working towards this goal? Questions that were addressed during the COP23. Watch Here