COP23 UN Climate Talks - Rwanda Delegation Daily Update - 16 November 2017
COP23 UN Climate Talks - Rwanda Delegation Daily Update - 16 November 2017
Summary of Yesterday's Activities
- Green and Climate Resilient Rwanda Side Event
- At the well attended event, DG Ruhamya and Alex Mulisa shared Rwanda's policy framework for climate action and the success and structure of the Rwanda Green Fund.
- Meeting with Minister Biruta and GGGI DG Dr. Frank Rijsberman
- Minister Biruta and the GGGI DG discussed the strong partnership between Rwanda and the institute and committed to work together for the upcoming Rwanda Green Growth Week and on green growth indicators.
- Meeting with Minister Biruta and the NDC Partnership Global Director Pablo Vieira
- At the meeting, Minister Biruta expressed Rwanda's interest in joining the partnership.
- COP23 High Level Segment Opening - in the New York Plenary
- At the opening, a number of statements were delivered by world leaders including Angela Merkel, Emmanuel Macron, Ali Bongo and more. Many, including the UN Secretary-General and the President of the Marshall Islands, called on countries to ratify the Kigali Amendment.
- CRAFT Side Event – the First Private Investment Strategy for Climate Adaptation & Climate Resilience at the UK Pavilion
- Alex Mulisa presented the work of the Rwanda Green Fund and how innovative finance is needed to address climate change.
- Delivery of Rwanda National Statement in New York Plenary (Time TBC)
- 8:30-10:00: Convention on Biological Diversity High-Level Breakfast Roundtable in the Villa Hammerschmid Room, First Floor, Bonn Marriott World Conference Hotel. United Nations Square 4 with intervention by Minister Biruta
- 11:30-13:00: SouthSouthNorth, Namibia and Rwanda side event in Meeting Room 7, Bonn Zone with Alex Mulisa presenting
- 12:00-12:50: Lunch Meeting with Convention on Biological Diversity at the Marriott Hotel World Conference Centre Bonn
- 12:00-14:00: Joint Committee Meeting on Implementation of Memorandum of Understanding with Italy in the Italy Delegation Office. (DG Ruhamya and DDG Munyazikwiye to attend)
- 13:15 - 14:45: GEF/GCF Side Event: Strengthening Collaboration to Support Countries in Implementing the Paris Agreement in the Bonn Zone, Meeting Room 12 with Minister Biruta participating in Q&A Panel Discussion
- 14:30-15:00: Briefing on launch of African Circular Economy Alliance at the South African Pavilion, Bonn Zone.
- 15:00-16:00: Launch of the African Circular Economy Alliance at the South African Pavilion, Bonn Zone with Minister Biruta to provide opening remarks
- 16:00-16:30: Bilateral Meeting with Edna Molewa, Minister for Environmental Affairs, South Africa
- 19:00-22:30: Diplomatic Dinner event on Fighting Desertification Together at the La Redoute Restaurant in Bonn hosted by the Jewish National Fund with Miss Monique Barbut, Executive Secretary of the UNCCD, as guest speaker (Attendance TBC)
COP 23 Media Review - 16 November 2017
- View photos from Rwanda's delegation to the COP23 UN Climate Talks in Bonn on the Ministry of Environment Flickr account
- The African Development Bank writes that 15 November 2017 was day to celebrate Africa's climate resilient path since the signing of the Paris Agreement
- Read the remarks of the UN Secretary-General António Guterres who hailed countries for ratifying the Kigali Amendment
- Clean Energy Wire reports that Chancellor Merkel encouraged leaders to harness efforts for climate action though failed to demonstrate Germany's role given it is a coal-producing country
Photos: Opening of the COP23 High Level Segment in Bonn, Germany (Ministry of Environment Flickr Account - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- View Images
Photos: COP23 Side Event - Green & Climate Resilient Rwanda (Ministry of Environment Flickr Account - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- View Images
Photos: Rwanda's Delegation to the COP23 UN Climate Talks in Bonn, Germany (Ministry of Environment Flickr Account - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- View Photos
Africa Day At Cop23 (AfDB website - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- On Wednesday, 15 November 2017, COP23 will celebrate Africa Day, a joint initiative of the African Development Bank (AfDB), the African Union Commission (AUC), the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) and the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD). http://http://allafrica.com/stories/201711150715.htmlRead more
From Around The World
Day 10: Merkel disappoints hopes for clear words on coal (Clean Energy Wire - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- German Chancellor calls on world to walk the talk, fails to deliver strong statement on German coal / Representatives from science, climate and environmental NGOs, and vulnerable small island states appealed to Merkel. Read more
Climate Change is Already Upon us & Will Only Worsen in Short Term (IPS News - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- It is fitting that this year’s conference of parties (on climate change, COP 23) is led by Fiji, a nation on the frontlines. Last month I visited other small islands facing the impacts of a warming world: Antigua and Barbuda and Dominica. The hurricane damage was beyond belief. Read more
AB Paul Gallagher on hopes for COP23 climate conference (Vatican Radio - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- As the Bonn climate conference moves towards its conclusion on Friday, the Vatican’s foreign minister has urged political and religious leaders, alongside individuals and organisations, to “maintain the momentum” on environmental protection. Read more
COP23: Our changing world (DW - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- Watch here
Secretary-General’s remarks at the High-level event at COP23 (UN - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- Excellencies, Distinguished delegates, Ladies and gentlemen, I thank Prime Minister Bainimarana for his remarks. And I want to congratulate him for his remarkable Presidency of COP23. My sincere gratitude for the excellent work that Fiji, the Government of Fiji and yourself, Prime Minister, have done. Read Here | Watch Here
Calls for Rapid Progress at COP23 as Ministers and Heads of State Arrive in Bonn (UNFCCC website - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- At the UN climate change conference in Bonn (COP23, to 17 November), COP23 President and Prime Minister of Fiji Frank Bainimarama called on governments to make swift progress on taking forward climate action and finalizing the rulebook of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. Read more
So much for COP23 – there’s a whole class of carbon emissions we’re totally ignoring (The Conversation - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- “Further, faster ambition together” is the mission statement of the global leaders attending the 23rd Conference of the Parties to the UN Convention on Climate Change (COP23) in Bonn. Read more
UN Guterres Hails Kyoto Success. Celebrate the 20th Anniversary with UN Climate Change (UNFCCC website - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- The Kyoto Protocol, the first international treaty to cut greenhouse gas emissions and which celebrates its 20th anniversary next month, remains an essential vehicle for developed countries to make more rapid and urgent cuts in their emissions, UN Secretary General António Guterres said today. Read more
Half of U.S. Spending Power Behind Paris Climate Agreement (Nat Geo - Wednesday 15 November 2017) -- A growing coalition of states, cities, and organizations is pushing ahead to meet emissions reductions targets, even as the Trump administration walks away from global warming efforts. Read more