Green Rwanda Media Review - 19 October 2020
- A number of outlets report that the Government of Rwanda has approved the growing, processing, and exportation of cannabis.
- Rwanda Environment Management Authority reports that Rwanda has launched the first-ever cookstove laboratory.
- Rwanda Environment Management Authority reports that its new partnership with the Private Sector Federation will advance green growth and the circular economy.
- Igihe reports about the construction of a state-of-the-art laboratory that will support monitoring Lake Kivu conservation.
- Watch the Kwita Izina Conversation on Conservation on the Visit Rwanda YouTube channel.
- Engineering News reports that electric cars are coming to Africa to solve the issue of energy supply.
- Southern Times reports that Botswana has ratified the Kigali Amendment.
- 28 September - 30 October: Rwanda's African Mobility Month. More Here
- 20-21 October: 'Green Mayaga' Project Media Tour hosted by REMA
- 22 October: ENR Backward Joint Sector Review Meeting hosted by Ministry of Environment
- 23 October: Launch of Rwanda’s 2020 Forest Planting Season and ‘Green Mayaga’ Forest Landscape Restoration Project hosted by REMA and RFA
- 31 October: 17th World Congress on Recycling and E-waste Management
- 18 November: Global Summit on Climate Change
Dusure inyamaswa eshanu zihatse izindi muri Pariki y’Igihugu y’Akagera n’izizigaragiye (Amafoto) (Igihe - Saturday, 17 October 2020) -- Pariki y’Igihugu y’Akagera ni imwe mu zujuje inyamaswa eshanu zisurwa cyane kuri uyu mugabane, nyuma yo gusubizwamo Inkura n’Intare zari zarahacitse kubera ibikorwa bya muntu. Read More Rwanda inaugurates cookstove Laboratory (Top Africa News - Thursday, 15 October 2020) -- Rwanda’s Minister of Environment Dr. Mujawamariya Jeanne d’Arc has inaugurated cookstove Laboratory while the country was, on Wednesday, 14th October 2020, celebrating World Standard Day themed “Protecting the Planet with Standards” globally and “Achieving Sustainable Use of Natural Resources with Standards” at national level. Read More
Umwihariko wa buri mujyi mu izaba igize u Rwanda mu 2050 mu miturire n’imikoreshereze y'ubutaka (Igihe - Thursday, 15 October 2020) -- Muri Nyakanga uyu mwaka Inama y’Abaminisitiri yemeje igishushanyombonera gishya cy’imikoreshereze y’ubutaka, kigamije gushyira mu bikorwa icyerekezo cy’iterambere 2050 u Rwanda rwihaye. Read More Paul Kagame chooses former minister of the Seychelles, Jean-Paul Adam, to help with mining (Africa Intelligence - Thursday, 15 October 2020) -- As the first person appointed as president of the Rwanda Mines, Petroleum and Gas Board since its creation, the former minister turned UN executive will help authorities in Kigali to polish the country's image as hub of responsible mining production. Read More
Laboratwari igezweho igiye kwifashishwa mu kugenzura ubudahungabana bw’ikiyaga cya Kivu (Igihe - Thursday, 15 October 2020) -- Leta y’u Rwanda irimo kubaka Laboratwari ifite agaciro ka miliyari zisaga ebyiri z’amafaranga y’u Rwanda, izakoreshwa muri gahunda yo kugenzura ubudahungabana bw’Ikiyaga cya Kivu, kugira ngo kirusheho kubyazwa umusaruro mu buryo burambye. Read More
Rwanda Approves “Ganja Planting”, Processing (Taarifa - Wednesday, 14 October 2020) -- Rwanda has officially legalized the growing, processing and export of cannabis, cabinet resolved on October 12. Read More
Rubavu: Abakorerabushake ba Croix Rouge bahuriye mu muganda wo kurwanya ibiza (Amafoto) (Igihe - Wednesday, 14 October 2020) -- Abakorerabushake ba Croix Rouge y’u Rwanda bifatanyije n’ubuyobozi bw’Akarere ka Rubavu mu kwizihiza umunsi ngarukamwaka wagenewe kugabanya ingaruka z’ibiza batera ibiti 2100 birimo iby’imbuto 100. Read More
Nyiragongo ishobora kuruka vuba aha, ab’i Goma na Rubavu barugarijwe (Umuseke - Wednesday, 14 October 2020) -- Muri 2002 nibwo kiriya kirunga gifatwa nk’igiteje akaga kurusha ibindi ku isi giheruka kuruka. Icyo gihe cyasenye 20% by’umujyi wa Goma, amahindure yacyo yica abantu 250 abandi benshi bahunga baza mu Rwanda. Read More
Uko umushinga wo kubungabunga Sebeya wahaye agahenge abatuye Nyabihu na Rubavu (Igihe - Wednesday, 14 October 2020) -- Abagezweho n’ibikorwa by’umushinga wo kubungabunga Umugezi wa Sebeya bo mu Turere twa Rubavu na Nyabihu, baravuga ko bamaze kubona inyungu, mu gihe cy’umwaka uwo mushinga umaze utangiye. Read More
Five major changes in the draft land law (The New Times - Tuesday, 13 October 2020) -- The draft land law, if approved by both chambers of parliament among other procedures, will replace the current one enacted in 2013. Read More
The Green Woods of Resilience (Sapiens -Tuesday, 13 October 2020) -- An anthropologist unwinds the complex threads of forest conservation, revealing how Rwanda’s Gishwati Forest has emerged as a place of hope after decades of turmoil. Read More
Inside a four-year stalemate on acquisition of Rutongo mines (The New Times - Tuesday, 13 October 2020) -- Years of disagreement over a share purchase agreement between the government of Rwanda and a private investor has left Rutongo Mines, which owns a reserve for tin ore in Northern Province, untapped. Read More
CEO of RDB Akamanzi explains why the government has legalised the growing of medical Cannabis (RBA - Tuesday, 13 October 2020) -- During this Monday's Cabinet meeting, the government of Rwanda approved the regulatory guidelines on cultivation, processing and export of high-value therapeutic crop, scientifically known as Cannabis Sativa, in Rwanda. Watch Video
Understanding funds sources for Rwanda’s $11 billion climate plan (The New Times - Monday, 12 October 2020) -- Rwanda recently revised its Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). Read More
Green energy a macro-economic imperative, says VW’s Kamuhinda (Engineering News - Monday, 12 October 2020) -- Green technology, electric cars included, are coming to Africa not just because of the Paris Climate Change Agreement, but because Africa has a problem of energy supply, says Volkswagen Africa business development director Serge Kamuhinda. Read More
Botswana ratifies Kigali Amendment (Southern Times - Friday, 09 October 2020) -- Gaborone - Botswana has become the latest country in the region to ratify the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol, according to the United Nations. Read More
Russia Ratifies Kigali Amendment, Bringing Ratifications to 106 (R744 - Tuesday, 06 October 2020) -- The Russian Federation has ratified the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol, becoming the 105th country, plus the European Union (EU), to ratify the global agreement to reduce HFC emissions. Read More
Tanzania battles Mount Kilimanjaro blaze (Africa News - Wednesday, 14 October 2020) -- The flames could be seen from miles away. A Tanzania National Parks statement said the volunteers have managed to limit the fire's spread. Read More
Widespread Floods Devastate Large Sections of East Africa (VOA - Tuesday, 13 October 2020) -- In recent months, unpredictable, intense floods have washed across parts of Rwanda, Kenya, Somalia, Burundi, Ethiopia, Uganda, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti and Tanzania, ruining homes and livelihoods as people and governments try to battle a global pandemic. Read More
Online journalism training to boost climate reporting in Africa (Future Climate for Africa - Tuesday, 13 October 2020) -- The news media is a load-bearing wall in a healthy democracy. Its role is to act as a watchdog of government, and to keep citizens informed and participating in the running of a country. Read More
Talk Africa: Extinction crisis in Africa (CGTN Africa - Monday, 12 October 2020) -- Nature is declining globally at rates unprecedented in human history – and the rate of species extinctions is accelerating. Read More. Also watch Video.
From Around the World
Biggest carbon dioxide drop: Real-time data show COVID-19's massive impact on global emissions (Science Daily - Wednesday, 14 October 2020) -- While the ongoing coronavirus pandemic continues to threaten millions of lives around the world, the first half of 2020 saw an unprecedented decline in carbon dioxide emissions -- larger than during the financial crisis of 2008, the oil crisis of the 1979, or even World War II. Read More
Great Barrier Reef has lost half of its corals since 1995 (BBC News - Wednesday, 14 October 2020) -- Australia's Great Barrier Reef has lost more than half of its corals since 1995 due to warmer seas driven by climate change, a study has found. Read More
Social Forestry in Indonesia Tackles Poverty (Borgen Magazine - Wednesday, 14 October 2020) -- SEATTLE, Washington — Indonesia’s rainforests are among the most biologically diverse and resource-rich landscapes on the planet. Read More
Scientists return from the Arctic with wealth of climate data (Independent - Monday, 12 October 2020) -- An icebreaker carrying scientists on a year-long international effort to study the high Arctic has returned to its home port in Germany. Read More
1. Ministry of Environment@EnvironmentRw: Min. @MujaJeanne speaking at the celebration of the World Standard Day:I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your participation in this important launch of the first ever cook stove testing laboratory in our Country. @rwandastandards @REMA_Rwanda
2. REMA Rwanda@REMA_Rwanda: Happening now: #Rwanda celebrates the #WorldStandardsDay2020, Hon. @MujaJeanne of @EnvironmentRw also officiates the launch of the first ever Cook Stove testing lab established in partnership with @REMA_Rwanda and partners @WorldBank and @NDFnews @Juliet_Kabera FaustinMUNYAZIK
3. Juliet Kabera@Juliet_Kabera: Today @PatKarera and I joined CEO Stephen Ruzibiza to launch the MoU between @REMA_Rwanda & @PSF_Rwanda. By working with the private sector on env’t mgt & climate resilience we can scale up green growth & the circular economy. I look forward to the fruits of the partnership!
4. GGGI Rwanda@GGGI_Rwanda:"GGGI adopts an embedded structure within our gov't partners working side-by-side on issues related to #ClimateAction & #greengrowth that inform policies, plans & projects contributing to realizing inclusive green growth". Read @InheeRwanda interview with @AfricaeAffari @gggi_hq