Green Rwanda Media Review - 7 December 2020
Mon, 12/07/2020 - 16:33
- GGGI reports about the first workshop on private sector engagement in building flood resilience capacities under the GCF NAP project.
- The New Times reports that motorists have been urged to use regional automobile inspection centres.
- KT Press reports that Akagera National Park has set new prices for visits in 2021.
- The New Times reports that Rwanda is set to shift from firewood and charcoal use to clean energy solutions.
- Igihe reports that 2020 is set to be among the three warmest years on record.
- Biz Community reports that Rwanda invested in cycling to help boost clean air and jobs.
- 30 November - 10 December: GCF NAP Project - GESI Stakeholders consultations and site visits organised by REMA and GGGI
- 11 December: International Mountain Day
- 12 December: Climate Ambition Summit
Rwanda invests in cycling, helps boost clean air and jobs (Biz Community - Monday, 7 December 2020) -- Rwanda is one of the leading countries in Africa in bicycle innovations. Recognising the need for various harmonising agendas, the government has supported the development of policies, methodologies and initiatives that emphasise the cross-cutting nature of sustainable mobility initiatives and the importance of mobilising funds for meaningful interventions. Read More
Kirehe: Ishyamba rya Ibanda-Makera riri gusubiranywa bizatwara miliyoni 400Frw (Umuseke - Sunday, 6 December 2020) -- Ishyamba rya Ibanda-Makera riherereye mu Karere ka Kirehe mu Murenge wa Mpanga rifite ubuso bwa hegitari 169, rikaba ryari rimaze iminsi ryarangiritse kubera ibikorwa bitandukanye by’abaturage, Ikigo cy’igihugu gishinzwe kubungabunga ibidukikije (REMA) kiratangaza ko riri gusubiranywa bikazatwara miliyoni 400Frw. Read More
Nyamagabe: Bakora amavuta mu bibabi by’inturusu (Kigali Today - Sunday, 6 December 2020) -- Mu gihe ibibabi by’inturusu byajyaga byifashishwa mu gucana cyangwa mu gufumbira imirima i Nyamagabe, havumbuwe uburyo bwo kubibyaza amafaranga hakurwamo amavuta (huile essentiel/essential oil) yifashishwa cyane cyane n’inganda. Read More
Extreme heat in Africa not appreciated as other deadly events of climate change (The New Times - Friday, 4 December 2020) -- As the end of 2020 is closing in, the year is likely to go down as one of the warmest on record. Read More
Aeroponics: growing potatoes in the air - agricultural innovation in Rwanda (Potato Pro - Friday, 4 December 2020) -- Agriculture is embedded in the culture of the people of Rwanda. In fact, about 67 percent of Rwandans are employed in agriculture, with arable land covering over 1.56 million hectares of the country. Read More
Umwaka wa 2020 ugiye guca agahigo mu bushyuhe (Igihe - Thursday, 03 December 2020) -- Ikigo Mpuzamahanga Gishinzwe Ubumenyi bw’Ikirere (WMO), cyatangaje ko hashingiwe ku bipimo by’ubushyuhe byafashwe muri uyu mwaka wa 2020, byerekana ko uzaba umwe mu myaka itatu mu mateka yagize ubushyuhe buri ku gipimo cyo hejuru nyuma y’uwa 2016 na 2019. Read More
Imvura izagenda igabanyuka uko hasatirwa impera z’igihembwe (Imvaho Nshya - Thursday, 03 December 2020) -- Mu gice cya mbere cy’ukwezi k’Ukuboza 2020 (hagati y’itariki ya 1 n’iya 10) mu Rwanda hateganyijwe kugwa imvura iri hagati ya mirimetero 20 na 120. Read More
Rubavu: Ingo zisaga 8100 ziri guhabwa amashanyarazi ku muyoboro mushya (Igihe - Wednesday, 02 December 2020) -- Imiyoboro ikwirakwiza amashanyarazi yubakwa mu Mirenge ya Nyundo, Nyamyumba, Kanama, Rugerero na Nyakiriba mu Karere ka Rubavu ubu igeze ku musozo ndetse abaturage batangiye guhabwa amashanyarazi bayifatiyeho. Read More
Motorists urged to use regional automobile inspection centres (The New Times - Wednesday, 02 December 2020) -- Owners of vehicles and drivers are urged to book for the mechanical inspection of their automobiles at the nearest inspection centres, which were opened in different provinces. Read More
Rwandan agricultural scientists undertake research to grow crops among rocks (The New Times - Tuesday, 01 December 2020) -- Rwandan agricultural Scientists are in trials to grow crops among rocks. Read More
US$6 million project to help build greater resilience to floods, drought (The New Times - Tuesday, 01 December 2020) -- A $6 million project is set to build the country’s capacity to plan and implement climate change adaptation initiatives. Read More. Also published in Top Africa News and Igihe
Akagera National Park Revises Visiting Prices for 2021 (KT Press - Tuesday, 01 December 2020) -- The Akagera National Park has set new prices for game visits in 2021, with slight increase, discounts and retention of some prices that were set for this year. Read More
Kirehe: Ibanda-Makera Natural Forest to be transformed into a tourism destination (Top Africa News – Tuesday, 1 December 2020) -- The Ibanda-Makera natural Forest in Kirehe District, Eastern Province, is about to be transformed into a Park that will be visited by tourists once its rehabilitation and conservation activities are completed. Read more
Nyagatare: Gutera imigano ku mugezi w’Umuvumba bizatuma ubutaka bw’abaturage butongera kugenda (Panorama – Tuesday, 1 December 2020) -- Abaturage bo mu karere ka Nyagatare bavuga ko gutera ibiti by’imigano ku nkengero z’umuvumba bizatuma uwo mugezi utongera kubatwarira ubutaka ndetse n’imyaka babaga barahinze mu gishanga cy’Umuvumba. Read more
Min. Mujawamariya yasabye abahinga hafi y’imigezi gusiga metero zagenwe n’itegeko (Umuseke - Monday, 30 November 2020) -- Nyagatare: Minisitiri w’Ibidukikije Dr.Mujawamariya Jeanne d’Arc yavuze ko Umugezi w’u Muvumba amazi yawo ari gutwara ubutaka kubera ko abaturage bahinze bageza mu mazi, yabasabye kwibuka ko abahinga mu nkengero z’umugezi basiga nibura m 20 naho abahinga mu nkengero z’ibiyaga basabwa gusiga m 50. Read More
Clean cooking energy attracts attention of public institutions (The New Times - Monday, 30 November 2020) -- Rwanda is set to shift from firewood and charcoal use as the main source of cooking energy to clean energy solutions such as Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), biogas and electricity. Read More
1st Workshop on private sector engagement in building flood resilience capacities under the GCF NAP (GGGI - Monday, 7 December 2020) -- The Global Green Growth Institute (GCF delivery partner) and Rwanda Environment Management Authority (NDA) co-organised the workshop for the GCF NAP Project on the role of the private sector engagement and elaboration of concept notes for selected sites in the city of Kigali namely Magerwa/Rwandex and Mpazi. Read More
GGGI Rwanda Co-Organizes African Mobility Month (GGGI - Monday, 7 November 2020) -- Globally, transport contributes to 16.2% of total GHG emissions. Overall, GHG emissions from the transport sector have doubled since 1970. The majority of these emissions come from road transport due to of petrol and diesel by cars, trucks, motorcycles, and buses. Read More
Video: Kubaka ubushobozi bwo gukora igenamigambi| Ubudahangarwa ku mihindagurikire y'ibiheB| Umushinga NAP (REMA Youtube Channel- Monday, 30 November 2020) -- Our Environment, Our Future #BungabungaIbidukikije #UmushingaNAP Watch Video
Climatic Conditions Suitable for Desert Locust Dev’t in Eastern Ethiopia, Says IGAD (ENA - Thursday, 03 December 2020) -- Addis Ababa, December 3/2020 (ENA) Climatic conditions suitable for desert locust development are forecasted to be highly suitable in eastern and coastal Kenya, eastern Ethiopia, central and southern Somalia, according to The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD). Read More
Namibia to auction 170 elephants over drought, increased population (Reuters - Wednesday, 02 December 2020) -- Namibia has put 170 “high value” wild elephants up for sale due to drought and an increase in elephant numbers, the southern African country’s environmental ministry said on Wednesday. Read More
Rescue slows a week after Zimbabwe mine collapse (Africa News - Wednesday, 02 December 2020) -- Rain and flooding have slowed down rescue efforts at a Zimbabwean mine where a shaft collapsed last week, trapping at least 10 artisanal miners. Read More
Communities in oil-rich Niger Delta pin hopes on Shell climate case (Thomson Reuters Foundation - Tuesday, 01 December 2020) -- Green groups are taking the oil giant to court in a bid to force it to cut emissions, with locals in Nigeria seeking an end to gas flaring. Read More
From Around the World
COVID-19 pandemic deepens energy efficiency slowdown (Anadolu Agency - Thursday, 03 December 2020) -- Global energy efficiency projects are set to slow further this year as a result of the economic impacts from the novel coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19) crisis, according to the International Energy Agency report on Thursday. Read More
Some Republican states would fight forced utility emissions cuts under Biden climate agenda (Reuters - Wednesday, 02 December 2020) -- The governors of five Republican states are ready to fight Democratic President-elect Joe Biden if he tries to require the power sector to slash greenhouse gas emissions. Read More
UN Report: Despite Falling Energy Demand, Governments Set on Increasing Fossil Fuel Production (Inside Climate News - Wednesday, 02 December 2020) -- Top countries are projected to produce twice the limit on oil, gas, and coal required to meet Paris climate agreement goals. Read More
Climate crisis to triple flooding threat for low-income US homes by 2050 (The Guardian - Tuesday, 01 December 2020) -- The amount of affordable housing in the US vulnerable to coastal flooding is set to triple over the next 30 years, a new study has found in a further sign of the escalating hardships faced by low-income Americans amid an unraveling climate crisis. Read More
1. GGGI Rwanda @GGGI_Rwanda: #HappeningNow in @HuyeDistrict @GGGI_Rwanda
Gender Expert @Rob_Isimbi has commenced with stakeholder engagement with district officials to discuss Gender Equality & Social Inclusion (GESI) integration for @theGCF NAP Project on Building #FloodResilience Capacities in #Rwanda
2. REMA Rwanda @REMA_Rwanda: Kudos to all key players in #EnvironmentProtection Since the start of 2019, firewood has not been supplied to refugee camps, rather it was replaced by cooking gas, and pellets @RwandaEmergency @
RwandaForestry @EnvironmentRw @MujaJeanne htt ps://newtimes.co.rw/news/ clean-cooking-energy-attracts- attention-public-institutions# .X8SvSvAxLdo.twitter via @NewTimesRwanda
3. RPPC~Imvaho Nshya @Imvaho_Nshya: Leta irasaba ibigo bicukura amabuye y’agaciro kongera umusaruro #Rwanda @Mines_Rwanda @RwandaNorth @
gatjmv @RwandaFinance @RwandaGov http s://bit.ly/2VteZFI
4. Rwanda Land Management and Use Authority @Lands_Rwanda: Nonaha: Turi muri @NyaruguruDistr aho Meya François Habitegeko ari kumwe na @MukamanaE ayoboye inama igamije gusobanura igishushanyombonera cy'imikoreshereze y'ubutaka no kububyaza umusaruro bijyanye n'icyerekezo 2020-2050 hamwe n'imitangire ya servisi z'ubutaka muri ako karere
5. Faustin Munyazikwiye @FaustinMUNYAZIK: On 12 December The #UK, #France & @UN will hold a virtual event To mark 5yrs since the #ParisAgreementThe Climate Ambition Summit will bring the world #TogetherForOurPlanet to make ambitious climate commitments ahead #COP26. Follow the @COP26
6. Meteo Rwanda @MeteoRwanda: Iteganyagihe ry'iminsi 10: Mu gice cya mbere cy’ukwezi k’Ukuboza 2020 (hagati y’italiki ya 1 n’iya 10) mu Rwanda hateganyijwe imvura iri hagati ya milimetero 20 na 120.
7. Rwanda Green Fund @GreenFundRw: It is referred to as the #GreenGicumbi Project. Key information on this project: It aims at strengthening the climate resilience of rural communities in @RwandaNorth @GicumbiDistrict. It is a 6-year project implemented by Rwanda Green Fund under the support @theGCF. @EnvironmentRw
8. @Mines_Rwanda @Mines_Rwanda: Earlier today: @Mines_Rwanda joined students of the school of mining & geology, @urcst to reflect on their contribution to the Dvpt of the mining sector in #Rwanda. This is part of a series of activities to mark mining week ahead of the Int'l mining day Friday 4, December.