Read the latest news from the environment sector in Rwanda and across the world.
- Hanga reports that two tonnes of plastic bottles were collected in Nyabugogo swamp.
- Kigali Today reports that Akagera Park is tracking animals using GPS technology.
- Hydrocarbons 21 reports that Cape Verde became the 110th country to ratify the Kigali Amendment.
- The New Times reports that Rwamagana has gotten three $20m irrigation dams.
- The New Times reports about solar energy companies getting a waste disposal solution.
- CNBC reports how green innovations can help build resilient food systems in Rwanda.
Nyarugenge-Muhima: Hakozwe umuganda w'isuku hatoragurwa Toni zigera kuri 2 z'amacupa mu gishanga cya Nyabugogo (Hanga - Sunday, 8 November 2020) --
Umuganda udasanze mu Murenge wa Muhima, akarere ka Nyarugenge, umujyi wa Kigali, wibanze ku bikorwa by'isuku, aho batoraguye amacupa apima toni zisaga ebyiri yajugunwe mu gishanga cya Nyabugogo. Read More
50,000 Trees planted as Rwanda launches Forests Planting Season in Green Gicumbi Project designated area (Top Africa News - Saturday, 7 November 2020)
-- About 50,000 trees of various species were planted on 20 hectares in Byumba sector in Gicumbi District on Saturday, November 7, 2020 as part of the launching of Forests Planting season for the year 2020/2021. Read More
Minisitiri Mujawamariya yasabye abanya-Gicumbi kwita ku mashyamba birinda akaga kazanwa n’ubutayu (Igihe - Saturday, 7 November 2020)
-- Minisitiri w’Ibidukikije, Dr Mujawamariya Jean D’Arc,yasabye abaturage b’Akarere ka Gicumbi guhuza ubutaka kugira ngo haterweho amashyamba hagamijwe kubungabunga ibidukikije. Read More
Rwanda reviving green cover to combat climate change (Anadolu Agency - Saturday, 7 November 2020) --
To revive the green cover and prevent land erosions, the country has now launched an ambitious six-year initiative called Green Amayaga Project, worth $32.7 million to promote biodiversity and also help agriculture productivity to benefit 1.3 million Rwandans. Read More
Pariki y’Akagera yatangiye gukoresha ikoranabuhanga mu kumenya aho inyamaswa ziherereye (Kigali Today - Friday, 6 November 2020) --
Ku wa Kane tariki 5 Ugushyingo 2020, ni bwo iyo pariki yatangaje ko mu cyumweru gishize bashyize ibikomo bya GPS ku nzovu eshanu (5) nini, ku ntare eshanu (5) ndetse bashyira n’ubundi bwoko bw’ikoranabuhanga rikoresha iminara nk’iya radiyo (VHF) mu mahembe y’inkura icyenda (9). Read More
Sliced Dry Pineapple Exporters Eye American Market (KT Press - Friday, 6 November 2020) --
The post-harvest losses can be minimized by physically preventing the entry of insects and rodents, and maintaining the environmental conditions that avoid the growth of microorganisms attack harvests. But also most important is establishing innovative ways that add value to the harvests that compete on the local and world markets. Read More
Can A Man Open Living Lion’s Mouth? Akagera Vets Can (KT Press - Thursday, 5 November 2020) --
The Akagera Park has embarked on fitting some of the Big Five game animals with GPS to ensure their safety and monitoring. Read More
Ibyoherejwe mu mahanga mu cyumweru byinjije miriyari 2,019 Frws (Imvaho Nshya - Thursday, 5 November 2020) -- Mu cyumweru cyashize kuva tariki ya 26 kugera ku ya 30 Ukwakira 2020, Ikigo k’Igihugu gishinzwe guteza imbere iyoherezwa mu mahanga ry’ibikomoka ku buhinzi n’Ubworozi (NAEB), cyatangaje ko u Rwanda rwohereje hanze kirogarama 3 179 794 z’ibikomoka ku buhinzi, zinjije amayero 2 058 332 angana na miriyari 2,019 z’amafaranga y’u Rwanda. Read More
Rwamagana gets three $20m irrigation dams (The New Times - Thursday, 5 November 2020) -- At least 170 hectares in three marshlands in Rwamagana District will be irrigated, following rehabilitation works on three valley dams that took over one year. Read More
How Rwanda is revamping its livestock industry to boost economy & nutritional security (CNBC Africa - Thursday, 5 November 2020) -- In 2018, Rwanda developed a five-year livestock master plan with hope that it will revamp the sector, increase farmers' incomes and boost food and nutritional security. CNBC Africa spoke with Solange Uwituze, Deputy Director-General of Animal Research & Technology Transfer at the Rwanda Agriculture Boards for more. Read More 4-Year USAID Isuku Iwacu Project Celebrates Bringing Sanitation Access To 500,000 Rwandans (Taarifa - Thursday, 5 November 2020) -- Over the past four years (2016-2020), the United States Agency for International Development (USAID’s) Isuku Iwacu activity invested 10.5 billion RWF in highly successful measures to increase access to basic sanitation for the people of Rwanda. Thanks to USAID Isuku Iwacu, over 500,000 Rwandans have access to basic sanitation (such as improved latrines) for the first time. Read More
Violent clashes increase among silverbacks when more families move into the same habitat, leading to casualties that are slowing the gorilla population, study reveals (Daily Mail - Wednesday, 4 November 2020) -- Silverbacks are listed as 'endangered' due to poaching and a loss of habitat, but a new study suggests the gorillas are also to blame for their diminishing population. Read more
This is how green innovation can help build resilient food systems in Rwanda (CNBC Africa - Wednesday, 4 November 2020) -- Globally, there has been an increasing threat of climate change to the agriculture sector. Mucyo Papias, Land Husbandry and Irrigation Technology Transfer Specialist at Rwanda Agricultural Board joins CNBC Africa on how solar powered irrigation can be leveraged to build more resilient food systems in Rwanda. Read More
Solar energy companies get waste disposal solution (The New Times - Tuesday, 3 November 2020) -- A recently launched intervention seeks to support solar home systems companies in Rwanda that decry high disposal cost hampering the efforts to collect and transport solar products waste to recycling companies. Read More
EDITORIAL: Expropriation process needs to be streamlined (The New Times - Tuesday, 3 November 2020) -- A report published early this year indicated that up to 60 per cent of respondents viewed the process of expropriation as unfair. Read More
Iyo utemye ishyamba uba utemye agace k’igihaha k’Isi- Dr. Mujawamariya (Imvaho Nshya - Monday, 2 November 2020) -- Amashyamba n’ibimera ni byo biyungurura umwuka mubi, bityo hakaboneka umwiza ibinyabuzima bikenera harimo n’umuntu. Iyo rero amashyamaba akomeje kwibasirwa agatemwa biba ari nko gutema agace k’igihaha k’Isi, akaba ari yo mpamvu hagenda hafatwa ingamba zo kubungabunga ibidukikije, by’umwihariko amashyamba. Read More
Cape Verde Ratifies Kigali, Bringing Ratifications to 110 (Hydrocarbons 21 - Monday, 2 November 2020) -- Cape Verde (officially the Republic of Cabo Verde) has ratified the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol, becoming the 109th country, plus the European Union (EU), to ratify the global agreement to reduce HFC emissions. Read More
Muhanga: Residents warned against illegal mining (Rwanda National Police - Saturday, 7 November 2020) --
Residents of Muhanga District have been warned against illegal mining practices, which in some cases result into loss of lives. Read More
Videos: Green Growth in Rwanda (Ministry of Environment - Tuesday, 3 November 2020) --
Watch videos that profile green growth efforts in Rwanda. Watch Videos
RUBAVU: Anti-Narcotics Unit arrests a major drug dealer (Rwanda National Police - Monday, 2 November 2020) -- The Rwanda National Police (RNP) Anti-Narcotics Unit (ANU) arrested another major trafficker and distributor of cannabis in Rubavu District. Read More
Six key ways Sub-Saharan Africa can address COVID-19 and climate change (Smart Energy - Thursday, 5 November 2020) -- Rocky Mountain Institute has released a new report highlighting six key measures governments in Sub-Saharan Africa can address the impacts of COVID-19 and climate change. Read More
UGANDA: $3.3M to protect biodiversity in the Albertine region of the country (Afrik 21 - Wednesday, 4 November 2020) -- The project for the conservation of wildlife and forest reserves in the Albertine region of Uganda has just received funding. The grant, estimated at US$3.3 million (over 12.3 billion Ugandan shillings), is provided by the World Bank and the Swedish government. Read More
Africa Mining Forum Hosts Ministerial Forum With DRC, Lesotho, Botswana And Rwanda On 19 Nov (EABW Digital - Tuesday, 3 November 2020) -- A Ministerial Forum with top government representatives from DRC, Rwanda, Botswana and Lesotho during the upcoming Africa Mining Forum Digital Event in November, will give an in-depth view of how the mining sectors in these regions have fared under COVID conditions. Read More
Divergent wildlife conservation perspectives in Africa (PHYS - Tuesday, 3 November 2020) -- In African wildlife conservation, most documented experiences are from southern and south-eastern Africa; countries with well developed 'wildlife industries'. Read More
From Around the World
Tiny air pollution rise linked to 11% more Covid-19 deaths – study (The Guardian - Wednesday, 4 November 2020) -- A small rise in people’s long-term exposure to air pollution is associated with an 11% increase in deaths from Covid-19, research has found. Another recent study suggests that 15% of all Covid-19 deaths around the world are attributable to dirty air. Read More
Clean energy slashes costs at Australian poultry farm (Poultry World - Wednesday, 4 November 2020) -- Australia’s largest free-range broiler farm, Riverlands Free Range, has slashed its power bill after installing one of agriculture’s most extensive solar and battery systems. Read More
Big insurance urges government and private sectors to invest in protecting biodiversity (Global Landscapes Forum - Wednesday, 4 November 2020) -- Recently, one of the world’s largest insurance companies released a report warning that a fifth of countries worldwide are at risk of ecosystem collapse as biodiversity declines. Read More
WHO publishes series of profiles on climate change and health in island states (World Health Organization - Wednesday, 4 November 2020) -- Small Island Developing States (SIDS) are among the most vulnerable nations to climate change in the world. Yet, many island states are also leading in the global response to climate change, through ambitious emissions reduction targets, adaptation actions, and developing climate-resilient health systems. Read More
1. Rwanda Water Resources Board @RwandaWater: It is part of the ongoing monitoring of the implementation of EWRM Project designed to elevate livelihoods and conservation benefits in #Sebeya, and other catchments from landscape restoration and improved natural resources management.
2. UNDP Rwanda @UNDP_Rwanda: #Happening now: a consultation workshop on revision of Rwanda’s Green Growth and Climate Resilience Strategy. The workshop was organised by the @EnvironmentRw with support of @UNDP_Rwanda through “Strengthening Capacities of ENR Sector for Green Economy Transformation Project.”
3. REMA Rwanda @REMA_Rwanda: Itsinda ry'abakozi ba @REMA_Rwanda ku bufatanye na @Rwandapolice riri gukora igenzura ku biyaga 6 byo muri @BugeseraDistr @RwandaEast @EnvironmentRw @Juliet_Kabera @FaustinMUNYAZIK
4. Akagera @AkageraPark: 5 #elephants have been fitted with GPS collars, along with 5 #lions and VHF transmitters put in the horns of 9 #rhinos in the past few weeks. Two of the rhinos also received GPS transmitters in their second horns. #Akagera #conservation
5. Ministry of Environment - Rwanda @EnvironmentRw: Min. @MujaJeanne received today, the new @UNDP_Rwanda Resident Representative @GomeraM. Their conversation focused on the existing and future partnerships in the environment and climate change area. #GreenRwanda
7. Jo Lomas @JoLomasFCDO: Delighted to bring #DavidAttenborough back to #Rwanda, albeit virtually. “A life on our planet” outlines the challenges faced by our natural world. @MujaJeanne @UKinRwanda #COP26
8. Ministry of Environment - Rwanda @EnvironmentRw: Amashyamba y'abaturage agize 67% by'amashyamba y'igihugu kandi niyo yangiritse cyane. Niyo mpamvu Umushinga #GreenGicumbi uzasazura amashyamba y'abaturage ku buso burenga hegitari 1200 ku butaka buhujwe hagamijwe kunoza imicungire yayo no kongera umusaruro mu buryo burambye.
9. Rwanda Green Fund @GreenFundRw: Today's event was fruitful as we launched the forestry planting season 2020/2021 under #GreenGicumbi Project. Today,50000 trees were planted on 20 ha. @GreenFundRw takes this opportunity to thank all our partners in this project. Together we can #GreenRwanda @theGCF @TeddyMugabo_
10. Rwanda Green Fund @GreenFundRw: The CEO of @GreenFundRw, @TeddyMugabo_: I highly appreciate the role of different partners of FONERWA in the #GreenGicumbi Project. This shows your great commitment towards #Rwanda’s journey to #GreenEconomy. We recognize all your efforts. @theGCF @GGGI_Rwanda @EnvironmentRw